Thursday, October 20, 2011

Geometry- Themes!

I spent most of the summer designing a moodle and had arranged my topics like a textbook and most geometry courses.
  • Basic Introduction (Undefined terms, parallel/perpendicular lines)
  • Logic
  • Triangles (Types, Theorems)
  • Polygons (Regular Polygons, Quadrilaterals)
  • Similarity/Proportion
  • Right Triangles (Pythagorean, Trig Identities)
  • Area/Volume
  • Circles

But... if I'm going to be breaking away from a textbook ...why am I making it look and feel exactly like a textbook?  I have limited time and want to keep my sanity, so I am using a handful of worksheets and direct instruction and at points my course will just be a textbook in disguise.  BUT I want to keep pushing away from that into a format that fits my students and fit my school.


I want to arrange my whole geometry class thematically.  I can do this.    After 5 minutes of independently trying to list the themes of geometry I went to my friend google.   And google pulled through.  I came to the website for the University of Calgary's Committee on Logic Education. (Linked HERE)

While the website isn't super fancy and the examples of what each theme would contain at each grade level weren't very helpful, I do like the shell it outlines.

Here's an outline of what my co-teacher and I came up with (Linked HERE)

No comments:

Post a Comment